Thursday, March 13, 2008

Annotations In The Great Void




Recently, in a moment absolutely overflowing with sanity, I suddenly realized that I’ve become a man of a certain age. And, with this distinction comes a responsibility to myself, an implicit obligation of accountability. Words like ‘legacy’ occupy a new prominence within my thought patterns. What have I done in my life that makes me stand out in a crowd? I think it was at precisely that moment I realized I am a living, breathing footnote.

Six decades… a fair amount of time, in human terms, I think. I briefly considered computing the total amount of oxygen I’d consumed during my lifetime, and the resultant amount of carbon dioxide, but since neither would offer me the prospect of any sort of distinction among my peers, I abandoned it. After all, I didn’t force myself to hold my breath for long periods of time in hopes of conserving precious oxygen or producing less carbon dioxide… I’m not a strict conservationist by habit or theory. I’ll never go down in the annals of history as The American Who Inhaled Less Oxygen Than Any Other Sixty-Year-Old Man… but it won’t be because I didn’t think about it.

In fact, nothing of a physical nature causes me to stand out in such a way that a stranger might look at a photograph of me lined up next to a cross-section of similarly aged males and say, “Oh, look… there’s Bob Church, world’s (fill in the blank) man.”

I’ve neither held public office nor desired to hold public office, my nearly two weeks in graduate school reminded me that the world has plenty of ruminant nutritionists, and fifteen years of Catholic indoctrination failed to convince me that God called me to the priesthood (sorry, Mom).

In high school, I graduated four students south of the cut-off line for Top 10%, which basically meant that if I could somehow get away with murdering Sylvia Grigsby, Dick Salmon, Cynthia Jean Morrow and Lawrence Brandywine, my counselors might recommend me for the Caldwell Grant, the $500 work-study stipend available to freshmen in good standing at Mundane State College. Oh, wait, I would have had to take the SAT’s to qualify… never mind.

Once, when I applied for a job as an ‘on-air personality’ at a local FM-radio station in Denver, the station manager interviewed me and stated that while I had a face superbly crafted for radio, my unfortunate stutter, lisp, low IQ and lack of personality tended to make him think I had no real prospects for success as KQFM’s new all-night disc-spinner. Evidently it is not enough to be able to rhythmically thump your chest in a manner that sounds like helicopter blades turning in the background… who knew?

This might have gotten some people down… but not me. I did what any lower middle class, under-educated, testosterone-rich male with no job and absolutely no direction in life might have done… I got married! And, after five kids and more than thirty years of keeping her mouth shut when common sense would urge her to complain to anyone who’d listen, she’s proved, if nothing else, that she has a huge heart and a well-developed sense of humor.

Yes, I’m no more than a footnote in the eyes of the world. I recall the old Shakespearian adage, “Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them”, to which I would add “and some, while technically being able to spell ‘great’, hold no real conception of the word’s meaning outside the clichéd version used every twelve seconds on SportsCenter”.

To my fellow footnotes: I hear ya, pal.
P.S.-- Although I was a 10-handicap golfer at best, I'm the best damn plumb bob putter on the planet. Does the Guinness Book of World Records have a category for that?

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've done my research, written my paper, and come to the conclusion that you, my dear friend, are more than a footnote! Rest assured you will be remembered for more than some golf term that is not in my repertoire....

: )

Anonymous said...

Well, unlike Karen I have not done the research but if you are a footnote, the rest of us are truly doomed. You touch someone's heart (or tickle their funny bone) daily. That is no small feat. And besides, you are published in the infamous Word Catalyst Magazine! See, you are GREAT! It is a better task to be great in the eyes of a few than really suck before the whole world. I can't remember who said that...oh yea, it was me! Carry on, Great One!

paisley said...

isn't that like why we write... cuz we were never really all that good at anything else?????

Anonymous said...

Humility is such an endearing trait. You leave it up to us to assert your unique magnificence, your stellar attributes, where should I begin? Uhh, well you're only sixty, plenty of time yet, why did they put such a dogleg left off the first tee, I just can't shape it that way, oh bugger, straight through into the forest,

Bubba said...

Karen-- kiss, kiss, kiss... heehee.

Shirley-- Oh, how you DO go on... kiss, kiss, kiss...

Paisley-- damn! I should have known better than to think I'd go three for three... but you're right.

Paul-- If Fishing For Compliments were a sport, I'd be on the Olympic team... Oh, and about your little problem with the first tee? Square up to hit it straight, slightly weaken your right hand on the grip, make sure your swing plane is down the line and your right elbow hugging your body on your downswing... you can't help but turn it right to left.

Either that or hit your 5-metal, Susie, you probably can't hit that through the dogleg...

You now owe me 50 bob for the lesson-- or 10 pints of Guinness, make it easy on yourself.

Jo Janoski said...

Well, obviously you're good at wiggling your way in to kiss the ladies. Is that so bad?

Bubba said...

Jo-- kiss, kiss, kiss... No... you're right... that's not bad at all.

kaylee said...

I would have posted a comment
sooner but I could not catch
my breath, now I know why
you have taken all the
air, hey. share will ya?
And you are much more
than a footnote, much
more!!!!!!!

klk

Bubba said...

Kaylee-- Yea, just make sure your purchase order has all the appropriate billing information, and I'll see to it that your order is expedited. *Heh heh heh* Just a little joke, Sweet-thang, put down the pistol. *Smooch*

Anonymous said...

See, I read this and all I see is extraordinary. Words, wit, wisdom and the plain ol' ability to romp through the language and make it fun. I deeply enjoy reading you. Not many people can do that.

Bubba said...

Amuirin-- Be still my foolish heart... trust me when I tell you I'm grinnin'. Thanks so much...

R.L. Bourges said...

what amuirin said.

Bubba said...

Lee-- What I said to Amuirin. Heehee... thanks! ;)

Anonymous said...

This is my first post I'd like to thank you for such a great quality site!
Was thinking this is a nice way to introduce myself!

Sincerely,
Johnie Maverick
if you're ever bored check out my site!
[url=http://www.partyopedia.com/articles/safari-party-supplies.html]safari Party Supplies[/url].