Friday, September 15, 2006

Everyman's Pasture Pastor


My senses are a little out of whack this morning. I can’t put my finger on it exactly, but something isn’t right. Were I an alarmist, I might be hell-bent for a neurologist’s office, knocking down anyone lacking the brains or dexterity to get out of my way. But, I am not, so here I sit like a dog patiently and obediently listening as his master performs a card trick. Then, precisely at the right moment, just as he reveals the Queen of Spades that magically disappeared from the deck, I look into his approving eyes and say, “Woof!”

Everything smells of sheep. The dandelions are suddenly more sheep than flower, each petal reflecting wool and the sound of a bell ringing off the yellow. But the thing that smells the most like sheep, is the very sun itself. When the sun goes behind a cloud, the smell of the sheep decreases, like standing on some old guy’s hearing aid, and when the sun comes back out again, the smell of the sheep is loud, like a clap of thunder inside a cup of coffee.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why apologize to anyone? For it is true poets who speak the truth.

Bubba said...

Well, I'm not sure that this could be construed to be an apology, but if it serves as one in your mind, then I'm sure it bespeaks sins of the past committed recklessly and without regard for the sensibilities of others. Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea ultima culpa!

Bubba said...

Silver, this isn't really all that different from your chocolate experience... just substitute a little hallucinogen for the coffee and/or chocolate and you'll be smelling sheep in no time. Heh-heh-heh! Just kidding...

Anonymous said...

ehh... strange thoughts )