Saturday, January 05, 2008

A short jaunt I hope you'll take

Those of you who know me understand that I often tend to regress to my time-honored tendency towards excess in all things written and/or oral. Be that as it may, I also take great pleasure in the sharing of information I consider either profound or useful. Below, with the permission of the author, Poetman, I offer information that contains elements of both.

Many of you who visit my site are poets, and, as such, I'm convinced that you'll appreciate a few maxims of wisdom from a poet whose work I must insist that you read. For some time I've linked him, but I highly recommend that you visit his site, if for no other reason, just to read some work that shows a certain virtuosity of voice that I find scintillating. Also, the art work there is spectacular. Without further ado, I give you:

10 things contemporary poets should know about writing poetry

1. Poems are not purely narrative; stories are! If you want to write a story “by god” write a story, but don’t call it a poem. I speculate that most narrative poems are short-short versions of stories written by writers - who don’t have the skill, patience or time to write a whole short story.

2. Free verse does not mean that you should completely ignore rhythms and line breaks. Help your readers – one long ass, run on sentence, without punctuation; that takes up a whole page, is not innovative (it’s already been done). It disrespects your reader’s intelligence, shows the world that you are only merely cleaver, and is pabulum masquerading as a poem.

3. Don’t put two contrasting metaphors in one verse or sentence – it just won’t hold together for your readers. Here is an example: “I was hearing a picture of you standing in a well of feeling looking for water”. That’s a line that truly crashes, as the mind of your reader tries to make sense of the way your use of “metaphors” and “predicates” collides and shatters into each other.

4. If you write a poetry blog as a daily confession about how “no one listens to you” and then choose fonts and contrasting background colors that make it difficult for your viewers to read your pearls of wisdom - then guess what – not only will you not have people listening to you , you won’t have people able to read you either.

5. Consider that applying terms like “Postmodernism” and “Post-Postmodernism” to your poetry is you engaging in an intellectual mind fuck. Good poetry first lands in the heart long before it wends its way to the head (this will always be true, except for those poets and readers who are members of the “I am smarter than you” cabal - hell bent on living their lives in the mind, rather than remembering that just below their noses is this incredible thing called “the body”).

6. If your poem does not shout from the page then no amount of voice or invective will carry it to a listener’s ear when you shout it from a stage.

7. Dear Slam Poet: Isn’t nice that you have found a way to get along with big brother – that you have found a way to be like a corporate cohort smothering the competition - that you have found a way to weed out the weak poets amongst you and in a Darwinian manner leave them bleeding on the stage. Well done O’ ye gladiators of truth justice and the “I am hipper then you way”.

8. Please consider editing. I know that an angel or a devil personally whispered an opus in your ear – and that all of your words are holy, and that you once read Ginsberg stating that the first time is the best time – but that just does not stand up to the test of reading. It’s true that your first draft is a large part of why you write (your reporting the words of a muse, etc.) but remember, writing is a craft, and as craft, your poems should go through several iterations before finding themselves on your blog or printed on a page. And by the way you will be doing all of us a big favor in the process.

9. Read the masters, if for no other reason then to critique them. Study the evolution of poetry in a non-academic manner – who were these poets writing for, how were they received in their own times, what do you love about their poems, and what do you hate about them?

10. Poetry is about resonance; it’s the use of language in a manner consistent with and contemporaneous with its time. Remember the vernacular of the sub-culture of you audience – appeal to them by glorifying their understandings about “place”, “time”, and “dignity”

8 comments:

paisley said...

i dont know bub... but i have to say that if none of this is tongue in cheek... i find it rather offensive...

i do not see any art in the way he speaks about poetry... it sounds more like accounting to me.....

Anonymous said...

Dang Bob,

Tough crowd ya got here..."no art" oh boy...now theres a reason to hang myself about...geesh...or maybe I should find a small knife to cut the tongue away from the offensiveness of my cheek...

Bubba said...

Poetman, the beauty of this forum is that I welcome all opinions, either yea or nay. I believe that there is seldom opportunity for enlightenment where there is no risk.

I stand by my decision to put your thoughts on my blog. The fact that Paisley doesn't find them useful serves as counterpoint, but doesn't, in my opinion, detract from the essence of your thoughts. I hope we'll get some more discussion, but meanwhile, I hope you'll leave the sharp instruments in the drawer and allow any excisions to be accomplished by your plentiful wit.

Anonymous said...

Oh OK. I am putting away the knife...

And by the way I agree with -

"I believe that there is seldom opportunity for enlightenment where there is no risk."

Be well...

rch said...

Hello all,

I have to say I agree with the list overall having actually done most of it (to my benefit I believe). But as with all things poetry related, it's still subjective.

I read an extremely liberating article years ago about avoiding abstractions at Valporaiso's site which would be a good compliment to this list in my opinion. I am looking for the link but wanted to add my 2 cents.

Thanks for posting this Bob & poetman.

Bob

Bubba said...

Hi, Rob... if you find it let me know and I'll post it. Thanks...

Anonymous said...

I think that the list above is good if you forget that poetry is first and foremost the expression of one's own soul and psych, free from the oppressive control of others.

It will not connect with everyone out there, no matter how it is formatted.

Much like a Picasso: it looks like crap unless you like crap, then it's a masterpiece.

I have written much poetry in my life, some that was appreciated, and some that was not. Almost invariably, when I cut and trim through the process of editing, the end result, though much easier to read and follow and carry orally, has been neutered and rendered emotionally impotent by comparison.

The fact is, few people if any at all, think of feel in polished form. We write to express. Nothing more.

That said, I agree with you in the context of writing for a reader... though even then I think a short leash should be tied to the editor.

However, I ardently agree that it is a good exercise to go back repeatedly, and ask yourself if there is a more smooth way to say the same things.

Bubba said...

anonymous-- I find myself agreeing with your statements, as well. I thank you for making them as part of the discussion. I hope you'll visit Poetman's site.