Saturday, July 12, 2008

Update

Well, I'm home from the horsepartial. After two nurses quit and a phlebotomist complained so vehemently that if he were to have to go back into Room 640, he would tender his resignation at once, the VA administration decided that they could do without my presence any longer. Just because I may have accidently questioned one or another's professional abilities, manlihood, or parentage, the individuals in question decided that enough was enough. Some people are so touchy...

Anyway, I've been home for nearly an hour and my wife has already decided she 'needs to go to the store', which is Weezie for 'I'd rather not kill you this afternoon'.

The good news is that I'm sore from the laporoscopy but otherwise unscathed. The bad news is that I've been diagnosed with colon cancer and will have to go through another round of chemotherapy starting some time within the next several weeks. There's talk of a vena cava filter and a 'auto-cath' which, as I understand it, is a subcutaneous catheter that will allow them to stick me and suck out bodily fluids (or add various poisons) to my blood stream without having to stick me thousands of times. Of course, this is alright by me because I'm basically a wuss.

But, after four days without eating, the food they bestowed upon me in my two meals today tasted wonderful. They had all the food groups represented in their attempts at a balanced diet; something from the yellow group, a green, a baby-shit brown, and several from the not-quite-red-but-certainly-not-rose-or-crimson variety. Of course, it all tasted pretty much the same since it was cooked in a pressure cooker until any semblance of texture was gone, but I expected that so it didn't surprise me. I know the VA's budget is decreasing, so I guess they had to make cuts somewhere. They certainly haven't cut their ability to give good care. The doctors, nurses and technicians who put up with me went out of their way to make sure that I was as comfortable as possible, that I understood each step that was undertaken and why (at least to the level that my pusilanimously-puny ability to understand would allow), and I'd rate my care right up there with the most expensive private hospitals anywhere in the world. So, if you want to bitch about the VA, you better take it somewhere else, because if you say it to me, I guarantee you, we're gonna fight.

I do want to thank you all for your many phone calls, comments, e-mails, and other expressions of support, and I can't tell you how much they helped me. I'm looking forward to the fight to come and I want you all to know that I may lose, but I won't go without a fight. You're all in my prayers, as I hope I'm in yours.

Bob

16 comments:

Tina Trivett said...

Bob....I am so glad your back...and so sorry for your news. Please let us know if there is Anything we can do. You will surely be in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

You won't lose, Bob, whatever the outcome. Honour is in struggle not in victory and your honesty, humour, spirit and passion will never be conquered. How I pity those poor nurses and doctors,

Jo Janoski said...

Do you know how many people will be thrilled to see you back? I'm kinda jealous, really. You're so popular, like a rock star!

kaylee said...

I AM SO Glad you are back
cause it is all about me.
I hate the DX but I know
you will fight it and win.
love from the north
kay lee

Anonymous said...

Welcome Home!

Anonymous said...

You'll whip it, my 80 year old grandmother whipped it, she kicked its butt in about three weeks, so I'm sure you're not going to be bested by a lil ole lady now are you?
Seriously, cos its in my family my mother knows all about it and I'm sure you know it has very high cure rates (highest there is), so we will all just keep on sending our get well vibes and squeezy cyber hugs and I know you'll be fine. But rest up and take it easy and most important keep thinking positive, oh and the kicker: no RED MEAT. You hear me?
J xoxoxoxox

Scot said...

wtf--bobalou
not have any of that losing talk--

R.L. Bourges said...

Listen, guy, my prayers won't sound like anything baby Jesus ever heard from his momma, I can promise you that. But I'm getting a couple of tough angels on the case. The kind with steel caps on their boots and tons of attitude - kapow to the toxins! helloooo to the good guys - those kinds of angels. (If they get too rowdy ,just threaten them with some VA food groups, they'll simmer right down.)

best from Graulhet

Dan said...

Hey Bubba, just another bump the road, my friend—nothing an old curmudgeon and ex-marine can’t whip in short order! It’s good to hear something positive about the quality of care rendered by the VA. Follow the good doctor’s orders and know that you have a multitude of prayers being lifted up on you and your family's behalf.

Anonymous said...

Welcome home, buddy! I hope Louise doesn't get *too* many "gotta go to the store" moments outta you...Hee.

{{{Bob}}} All forms of prayers going out.
Nan

paisley said...

i have been on a bit of a blog vacation,, and i missed out on this till today..

i am sort of speechless on this one bub,,, i love you and will be in your corner throughout.. your a tough old dog,, whether you wanna call yourself a wuss or not...

Anonymous said...

You'll kick it in the ass. A sense of humor got my family through cancer. Yep. We beat it. And with your beautiful spirit and sense of humor, it's obvious you will, too.

Bubba said...

Bless you all... please know that you make a difference.

rch said...

Hey Bob, I'm sorry to hear that but with your willpower it should be no problem kicking ass (so to speak). Having gone through intestinal problems myself I really sympathize with you about the food part - stay strong my friend!

Bob

Anonymous said...

Dude -- just got back from a family visit, and I am so sorry to hear you've got something almost as tough as you to fight with.

I am sending you my excess fighting spirit, since after family and work overload I discovered I have some to spare.

Please keep me, us, posted -- you are not in this alone.

(Foo. Remote login from work isn't working -- this is Lori W., your friendly photog of rusty things from Texas...)

Bubba said...

Hi, Lori... thanks so much. It's comforting to know that I have folks rooting for me. Much appreciated...