Friday, August 08, 2008

Is that you, Aunt Gussie?




The Thought For The Day:

The whole idea of civil war escapes me, frankly... doesn't being civil rather defeat the purpose?

Ah, yes, the calendar reminds me that it is once again August, the official start of the family reunion season. I've been informed by my significant other that we'll be hosting the Annual Church Family Reunion this year. Given the attendant circumstances with my health, I am scarcely capable of containing my glee. Oh, joy, thy eternal countenance fills me with blather only circumspectly containable.

The prospect of providing a venue for such an event is... well, it's terrifying, actually. If past experiences are a reliable indicator of future actions, it will be necessary for me to devise a battle plan capable of anticipating most anything, and carrying out a formatted scenario of plausible deniability.

Since I have to do it anyway, I thought I might as well share my list of necessities for such a gathering. That way, if any of you are faced with the same task, you can't write and say, 'Bubba, why didn't you warn me?'. Consider this my contribution to the betterment of family relations throughout the country.

Tips For Organizing Your Family Reunion



  • Start early. There is no substitute for good planning. It's been my experience that about 30 years is sufficient.

  • Go shopping downtown and pick up a few books, CD-ROM's, planning guides or practically anything that will put off actually starting on your task. The whole process sucks, actually. Changing the date of the reunion at the last minute is acceptable only if the channel cat's are really, really biting well down at Jones' Pond or if you haven't seen that particular edition of Seinfeld. If you totally can't figure out how to work the VCR (and how many of us can actually say we can?), have the wife call everyone... folks tend to get a little surly when they've scheduled their vacation around the reunion and spent a couple of grand on non-refundable airfare.



  • There's really no point in giving out a fake address, especially if you live in a town of under 10,000 population... all it'll do is give them the opportunity to build up a good snit and a healthy buzz before they show up inclined to want to fight.

  • If you know more than one family is coming in from out of town, be sure to book some rooms at hotels nowhere close to each other.

  • Prepare a list of "Family Scandals We Just Don't Talk About" and send a copy to everyone who'll be attending. Also, laminate a hundred copies of the list and post them in conspicuous places throughout the reunion area.

  • If possible, try to schedule the event at a local lake. This way, accidental drownings will take on an air of legitimacy.

  • If family members wish to bring fiances or 'special friends' of other ethnicities or sexual preference, be considerate of their wishes. Then, lose their invitations on the way to the mail box. Trust me when I tell you that you're doing them a favor.

  • Ask every family attending to contribute $50 to help defray the costs of the extras such as fireworks, ammunition, bail bondsmen, etc. Once everyone's money has been collected, take it down to the track and bet it on a horse you think has a chance of winning or use it for a couple of lap dances at Horny Hooters. You're entitled to one last celebration before you lose everything.

  • It would probably be best to have some food available as well as beer.

Getting yourself arrested should only be considered as a last-ditch effort to avoid attending. Remember, the wife knows when you're asleep and has access to the key to your gun cabinet.
Well, that's all I can think of at the moment. Good luck with it... remember, one reunion properly planned will keep you from ever having to do it again.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

yes to every single one of your action steps...

the only thing i would add to that list is to tell your familiars that you and your loved ones have transitioned into vegans and there won't be any meat or dairy products served on the premises...

if that fails, tell them you've hired a clown who specializes in making animals from balloons to entertain them...

if that fails...

how about inviting Richard Simmons...?

Tina Trivett said...

Ah, the dreaded reunion...you're brave....hehe

R.L. Bourges said...

there you go. The fork said it for me: there's always someone just discovering macrobiotics or raw foods or fresh blood with applesauce. THEY BRING THEIR OWN AND SHUT UP ABOUT IT (or are the first to fall accidentally in the lake.)

Good luck, bubba. I see how my side of the pond can seem like paradise at this particular juncture...

Anonymous said...

Bob!! I'm rolling on the floor here. I think you really are related to me, because I know these people and dread that same damned reunion every year. I love your idea of laminating the family scandals (we'll leave my scandals off the list, though). Funny stuff!!!

Anonymous said...

These were great. We're having one on the 19th, I'm gonna print this and show it to my grandma, if you don't mind. She will get a huge laugh out of it.

Jo Janoski said...

Remember location,location,location! Down by the lake is much too tame for my family. Undesirables can injure themselves much quicker at a pony farm or amusement park.

kaylee said...

LOL!!
I would do one of these,
just as soon as my family
tree gets out of jail..

Good one !!

Anonymous said...

bob, hi the rev and i invite you back over to chico's, we just had to much blueberry wine.
nice pad, by the looks of the photos, the rev and i missed the second party. until next time.

Bubba said...

Fork-- I'll have to keep those suggestions in mind for the next one (except the Richard Simmons one, of course... one just doesn't do that to anyone). heehee

Tina-- No, not brave... obligated (I have a wife).

Lee-- Once again, you state the obvious. Ha! Thanks...

Julie-- Thanks... let the games begin.

Amuirin-- Be my guest. If nothing else, you'll have a reference to look back on and say 'I told you so'.

Kaylee-- Good point... but if we were to wait for that, we'd have no opportunity to do it at all.

Mary-- I've enjoyed your reparte with the Rev and with Chico on many occasions. I'll be back, count on it. Thanks for stopping by to see me...

Anonymous said...

[music notes] Ach du lieber augustine, augustine augustine...Bier her Bier her, oder ich fall um...

See, all you have to do is pretend it's Oktoberfest. :)

Anonymous said...

Daddy..... wish i was with you. want to give back the love.... I LOVE UUUUU BOB CHURCH!!!!!!!!!!!!
Love forever and past.


For those of you that havent already guessed,,,,, Bob is the most amazing father, mentor, poet, writer, grandfather, teacher and more.... This man has proven the theory that love breeds love.
Wanted you to all know.
Hang in there daddy. ~ Bones

Lori Witzel said...

My, but you are a prolific guy.

Who knew about your ferrets?
http://snurl.com/3gx8r

Or the fact that you practice accounting in Moose Jaw, Canada?
http://snurl.com/3gx9j

And despite your accounting practice, you have time for coarse angling:
http://snurl.com/3gxaj

I think it is a little shameful the way you got yourself all done up in eldery-man-camo just to get some UK press, however:
http://snurl.com/3gxaw

But I suppose it's all good -- I mean, how could we say a bad word about a man who cares enough about sick ferrets to post a recipe for a restorative chicken gravy?
http://snurl.com/3gxcd