Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Can you show me the way to a road?

Look, I understand that English is rapidly becoming the world's language, okay? I get it that people across the globe are clamoring to show their devotion to their new-found language skills and I applaud them for their efforts.

But, for the sake of all that is holy, before you pay some tattoo artist to translate one of our witticisms onto your tummy, please understand that there are certain semantic differences in Finnish/English translations that, while barely raising an eyebrow in Helsinki, might cause some of us on this side of the pond to shake our heads in pity.

Who could possibly forget the old saying? If I've heard it once, I've heard it a thousand times, "There were is will, there is a road".

Nice try, chicky... now be a good little girl, pull your pants back up and run along. I wouldn't want to be responsible for you missing your American Idol audition. For your sake, I hope your English isn't good enough to translate what Simon Cowell might have to say.

No comments: