Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Something's Rotten in Denmark...




Your Thought For The Day:

DID YOU KNOW? Despite the obvious perils associated with such an endeavor, on a 20-degree night, an outdoor hot tub filled to capacity with five inebriated adult revelers is capable of producing enough steam to provide electricity for a family of six. This phenomenon, when coupled with the grace of God, is responsible for the fact that we all escaped relatively unscathed with not so much as a trace of frostbite.



Not a whole lot of news to report today. Yesterday was pretty much a typical Moberly day all in all, complete with shopping at Wal-Mart. The next check-out position over from where we waited in line is the Express Line. We had just finished paying for our groceries when suddenly Sheriff Brill and a SWAT team burst through the front door and arrested Fud Crumpacker for violation of Ordinance 27-B Subsection A; knowingly, with malice and forethought, attempting to bring more than 14 items into a posted Express Line.

Smiling and reading a prepared statement for the Eyewitness News 57 team, an effulgent Sheriff Brill proclaimed that surveillance teams had been in place for nearly three hours, waiting for Mr. Crumpacker "to perpetrate his heinous acts upon the good citizens of Randolph County". Apparently, it is Mr. Crumpacker's third offense of the same charge, and "the Sheriff's Department is up to the job of providing due diligence to its mission statement, the professed 'courteous but firm' administration of equal justice under the law for all citizens, for all offenses no matter how slight".


However, the statement goes on to say that the county will not be asking for the implementation of the death penalty under the "three strikes and you're out" clause, because "that boy is not hopeless... I'll rehabilitate this reckless scofflaw if it takes me twenty years".

I hate election years.

On the way home, I did something I rarely do. I picked up a family of blue-green algae who were hitch-hiking on Route 74. The wife wasn't too happy about it, but she went along with it under the condition that they stay in the back seat, and off the groceries.

The spokes-algae identified himself as Gak the Anabena. He was actually quite pleasant, if a tad malodorous. So deep was his gratitude, he said, that he would be willing to put down roots, with his multi-billion numbered family, in my back yard.

"You wouldn't happen to own livestock, would you?" he inquired hopefully.

I was forced to admit that I did not, although a healthy number of critters of different species inhabited the back acreage of my place.

"Splendid! You know, Mr. Church, blue-green algae has a history of steady nitrogen production, as well as a very strong relationship with fungi, an environmental power player with whom it produces many common lichens. We could keep your meadow green and nitrogenous for many years to come."

I looked him right in the nucleus and said, "Gak, if I allow you to stay, will you promise to stay out of my hottub? I've seen what algae can do to the most scrupulously treated vessels, and I'll not allow you to give my friends jock-itch!"

At this point, I think I heard what would pass for murmuring amongst the multitudes before Gak waved his Golgi Complex calling for silence. "Mr. Church-- may I call you Bubba?-- you see, I think you're laboring under a false presumption. You see, sir, we are really not algae at all, but cyanobacteria. We are associated with those nasty nemotodes only because of our color, not because of our environmental effects. Certainly you're not some bigot who would lump us all together because of our color, are you?"

Well, what could I do, at that point? If I didn't allow them to stay, I would be casting them to the whims of Sheriff Brill's anti-bacterial stereotypes. I simply couldn't live with myself if I did. But, I wasn't about to let them think that I was an easy touch. "Okay, pal, you and your clan can stay, but I don't intend to allow you to send for your relatives. If I see one sign of E. Coli or your fruit-fly cohorts, Drosophila melanogaster, it's Malathion for the bunch of you! Got it?"

I can only hope I was convincing.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooooooo, I love it when you talk microbiological....

heheheheheee

Bubba said...

Karen-- Well, if you're interested, we could explore a little mitochondrial synthesis in our organelles...

Anonymous said...

Hold on a minute, I'll be right back with an answer....

(now, where's that friggin' Biology for Dummies book I had...I know it's around here somewhere....)

Okay, nevermind...I'm game...what the hell, you only live once! Let me get my swab kit and petri dish and I'll be ready.

Anonymous said...

Bubba, you need a break from your day job!! :)

Anonymous said...

Crumpacker, what a deliciously Dickensian name.....this raised a smile or six.

Tina Trivett said...

I looked him right in the nucleus

ROFL....hehehehehehehehehehehe

Always good for a belly laugh Bob. :)

Bubba said...

Nan-- Duhhhhh! Ya'spose? :)

Jo-- When I was a kid, there was a mechanic in town named Crumpacker who worked on nothing but Studebakers and Henry J's-- Needless to say, I never saw the inside of his shop-- but the name stuck.

Tina-- *Big grin* Glad to be of service, ma'am...

Jo Janoski said...

Is there room for three in that petri dish?

Scot said...

I wish not to add to this--but liked it

Bubba said...

Jo-- Oh, heck yea! But bring your own anti-fungal, just in case...

Scot-- Thanks!

paisley said...

wo things...

number one,, hot tubbing int he snow is the ultimate.. it is snowing ad freezing all around you,, and you are toasty warm with little snow stars falling on your delisciously warm flesh....

and number two.... around here people eat blue green algae.. they call it spirulina,, and think they are a rung or two above you and me,, cuz we don't... wow.....

kaylee said...

SWAT team burst through????
that is why I never go to
Wally Mart.
TO many swat teams
and do not get me started
on little old persons
standing in line to but
stuff make in China

and then ....
oh.....never mind

good read old pal good read



klk

Anonymous said...

Don't believe that Gak for a minute. I once allowed a little family of green moss to hang out in my back yard and they have moved in with all of their relatives. Now, the grass is so offended it's moving out! Had I read Karen's book I would have known that the Grass and Moss families have been fueding since Moby Dick was a minnow.

R.L. Bourges said...

I agree with Shirley - soon you will all be petri-fried and that ain't good at all -even as a side dish with pulled pork

Anonymous said...

laughing at Jodi and the spirulina (and confessing I tried it too, after some friend waxed on about it being a miraculous cure for tiredness.....instead of going to bed early, I shelled out, took a dose or two and can report it tastes like shit and didn't do anything for me that I noticed...sort of fishfoody, yep, fishfoody).

Bubba said...

Paisley-- Yea, some California-types will eat anything trendy, no matter how disgusting.

Kay-- Don't get me started on Wal-Mart... it could get bloody.

Shirley-- Grass and moss together? There goes the neighborhood...

Jo-- Fishfoody,eh? Anybody got an extra barf bag?

Lee-- Come on over and let's all get petri-fried together and enjoy a good soak in the hot tub! Thanks, everyone!!