Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Dum spiro, spero

I recently returned from a joyous experience in a nether zone interspersed precariously between heaven and earth. During this time of reflection with family and dear friends, I re-learned my basic tenets of life and realized, once again, that all joy must be balanced against heartache, all revelry countered by piety, all beauty placed on our mantles be reflective of our understanding of the basest of human reality. No sooner had I started to sort my memories and categorize my blessings than a phone call reminded me that a friend now faced the grief of losing a loved one. In a flash, my perspective shifted and the halo I'd surrounded my family with suddenly seemed weak and penetrable as I groped for words of comfort.

Every day, every hour we teeter between nirvana and ruin, and no matter how smart, how accomplished, how esteemed our position or how deep our stores of wealth, we cannot escape our humanity. We can deny it, forestall it, or for a blessed few actually understand it, but we cannot prevail against it. All we can do is interpret it and enjoy it, whatever challenges it presents. It's called life and those of us who still claim it should give as much of it as possible to others, because only by doing so will we ever hope to receive a richer version of it in return. It's as close to immortality as any of us can ever hope to get.

Go kiss your loved ones... let them know you understand.

10 comments:

kaylee said...

My God, you have out done
yourself this time.
I think is one of the most
heart breaking post I
have ever read.
I am so sorry for your pain.
Remember you have
the right to have happiness
and it is not at the expense
of your loved ones.
Hang in there old friend
lfmty

klk

Scot said...

perfect

Jo Janoski said...

...what kaylee said. I couldn't say it better.

Tina Trivett said...

Great post Bob. Gripping reminder that we all need to hear...thank you.

Anonymous said...

Excellent! And yes, Kaylee said it quite well.

hfurness said...

Yeah, life is a full-contact sport. I agree with all that's been said.

Anonymous said...

You're awesome. Y'know?

You hit right home.

R.L. Bourges said...

may you and yours always walk in beauty.

Bubba said...

Thanks, everyone, for hanging in there with me. I'm feeling a little lost, honestly. This has rocked me. I think I need some contemplation time and maybe a little distance from my tendencies toward flippancy.

I'm probably going to lay off the blog for a little while. Hopefully, I'll resume later on. Thank you all for your inspiration.

Bob

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. We all need to be reminded of this from time to time, and I happened to need it today, so thank you. I hope every thing with you and yours goes well and stays well.