Tuesday, January 30, 2007

What the hell did you just say?


Well, the calendar says it’s time for the next addition to my little _______ (insert your own nomenclature for ‘column’; I realize that it fits no universally accepted definition). So, despite my trepidation that I may be creating it for the purview of only a handful of intrepid readers who either maintain their blind loyalty to me or simply have nothing better to do at the time, I shall press on. In either case, I'm grateful to you.

Long ago I accepted my fate as a writer whose style/subject matter lacks the dignity, character and/or redeeming social value to create wide-spread appeal or gain universal acceptance. I have no desire to write user-friendly prattle or ‘make nice’ fiction playing to the emotions of readers who insist upon being spoon-fed their entertainment with a minimum of effort on their part. But, in my heart of hearts, I continue my labor of love because I still think that there may be a few of you with the ability to read between the lines, a smattering who understand the shades of gray lurking around the edges of any subject.

Yes, I understand that my sentences tend to be convoluted; yes, I know that my examples tend to be non-linear in scope; yes, I get it that some of you think I’m trying to talk down to you—guilty, guilty, guilty. Truth is sometimes no more than the absence of preconception.

So, if you come here looking for the same thing, day in and day out, you’re going to be disappointed. Sorry. Often, I dedicate my ‘whatever this is’ to topics that come to mind in dreams; sometimes I feel so strongly about an ignorant statement by a politician that I cannot help but pillory him by trying to expose his buffoonery; occasionally I have a thought that creates a sound in my mind that won’t go away and I feel compelled to share its alliteration. I apologize for none of them and refuse to change my style one single whit for anyone, anywhere, anytime.

Okay, my rant complete, I return control of your senses to you, hopefully uninjured. As always, thanks for stopping by. If you like what you read, come back. If not, go watch television, I’m sure Matlock or Friends is playing somewhere if you’re willing to flip around a little.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I happen to like non-linear - makes life more exciting...you know, kinda like wearing Wednesday's underwear on Tuesday and Tuesday's on Friday...

heheheheheee

Bubba said...

Poor Thursday... I shudder to think which underwear might be reserved for it. Or are we talking 'commando' here? Ha!

Anonymous said...

Oh geez, Karen! How will you keep it all straight? I'd get so confused, you wouldn't want to know what I'd be wearing on Sunday. I mean, they put those days of the week on underwear for a reason. Don't mess with it! ("Mess" sounds like a double-entendre...err, I'll go now.)

Anonymous said...

Okay, if you must know, I don't really have days-of-the-week underwear (and I NEVER go commando, Bob)...I happen to color coordinate. So there. The truth is out.

But, I still like non-linear. So I'm not telling you what I coordinate them with! ;)