Sunday, February 10, 2008

Death Therapy

Have you noticed that you’re starting to get telemarketing calls on your cell phone now? I am now convinced that telemarketers are no longer paid by the number of sales they achieve from their efforts, but by the amount of time they can keep a prospective customer on the line. In fact, I don’t think they’re really representing specific companies at all, I think they’re all shills for the phone company—the longer they can keep you on the line, the more the phone company charges you.


I got a call last night that went something like this:

“Hello?”

“Hey, how are you tonight? This is Larry, down at Merle’s Hardware, and I see that you recently bought some merchandise from us. I’m calling to follow up and make sure that you’re satisfied with your purchases. Would you mind answering a few questions for me, it’ll help us determine customer satisfaction levels and ultimately keep our prices low. Plus, as your reward for helping us out, we’ll be sending you a nice gift.”

“I’ve never stepped foot in a Merle’s Hardware store.”

“I see here that you used your MasterCard for your purchase. Could you please confirm your number and expiration date for me so I can make sure that it’s really you? I wouldn’t want to inconvenience the wrong Bob Church.”

“I don’t have a MasterCard, and even if I did I’d sooner allow you to strap me down and pull all my teeth out with a pair of Channel Lock pliers without the benefit of anesthetic before I gave you the number.”

“Wait… oh, I’m sorry, I was looking at the wrong line on my monitor, I’ll need your Visa card number.”

(After a short pause to recompose myself) “I’m not giving you my Visa card number.”

“It wouldn’t have been an American Express card, would it?”

“Perhaps I didn’t make myself clear… there isn’t a Merle’s Hardware store within a hundred miles of my house, and I certainly wouldn’t drive that far to buy hardware.”

“Well, Mr. Church—do you mind if I call you ‘Mr. Church’, I assure you I respect you and your time— let me ask you this, if there were a Merle’s Hardware store close to you, what credit card would you be using for your purchases and what is its number, including the four number identifier code on the back?”

“Please don’t force me to be rude, I don’t want to descend to your level, but I’m not giving you any credit card numbers.”

“Uh-huh… I understand totally, many people feel that way until they know that tonight only, I am authorized to offer you $50,000 worth of building materials for only $500 if you’re willing to put it on a nationally accepted credit card such as MasterCard, Visa, American Express, Discover or major department store. That’s a tremendous bargain, Bob, one that you’d kick yourself for tomorrow if you fail to act tonight.”

“I’m going to dress up like a drunken doctor in a Superman costume with a burrito stuffed into the crotch of his tights and give you a proctology exam.”

“Let’s assume for a minute that there was a Merle’s Hardware store close by, what card would you be using?”

“I fully intend to hunt you down and kill you.”

“From our conversation, I’m guessing Discovery, am I correct?”

“I’m going to find you, rape you and your wife, kill your kids and set your house on fire.”

“Say, that’s swell, scooter, I understand... but you can’t claim the fabulous prize I’m about to offer you without a credit ca—”
--CLICK--

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What the hell man, I know how that goes.

They try to call me in the middle of class for some reason.

It's ridiculous.

Anonymous said...

Oh, this is a gem. And you were way nicer than I am. My latest scam is no matter what they're selling...I just bought one. Sometimes I try to sell them something! You should have been here during primary hunting season.

And, thru the email telemarketing system, I inherited about seven trillion dollars last week alone from people in foreign countries who died and want my bank account numbers so they can leave it all to me. How nice of them!

kaylee said...

We should put them all
on an ice foe and then
wait for global warming.
Then we kill all the
lawyers, oh wait
that is next week.
klk

Anonymous said...

What a horrible attempt at fraud or identity theft. Good for you for realizing it was a scam from the beginning!

Bubba said...

Well, it would appear we have a concensus... I'm shocked!

Anonymous said...

I think you handled that very well.

The proctology exam line was particularly well crafted.