Friday, February 15, 2008

We Now Return You To Your Regularly Scheduled Programming...

I’ve decided to stop watching television. Last evening, while stretched out on the couch with my feet resting on the ottoman, it occurred to me that even though the volume was adequate for me to hear the dialogue clearly, I felt like a dog watching a magician perform a card trick— I was mesmerized by the movements, but I had no idea what the words meant. I just kept hoping that someone would throw me a biscuit or whistle for me and open the back door so I can walk outside and take a leak. In fact, had armed intruders burst through the door and sprayed my heart, spleen and pancreas with a barrage of small arms fire, my last thoughts would have been 'Thank God! Where have you been and what took you so long?'

Be they dramas or situation comedies, the ‘stories’ are a series of six-minute segments, each a story within a story that stops immediately before the climax, designed to tweak the audience’s admittedly declining attention span long enough to keep their fingers off the remote buttons. The message is clear: ‘Don’t change that channel or you’ll miss Misty’s confession to Chad that she’s having Brett’s baby’. I’m convinced that the Nielson people now monitor not only the shows that are most often being watched, but also the commercials. Since producers can’t serve two masters, the advertisers win, the viewing public loses and the story becomes mere filler to support the plentiful two-minute flashes of marketing genius.


Even sporting events are affected, with ‘tv-timeouts’ and other orchestrated game stoppages designed to allow Budweiser to sell us some more of Auggie Busch's finest elixir. God forbid that a player gets hurt bad enough to require a cart to haul him off the field, because there’ll be time for an entire infomercial endorsing the benefits of colonic irrigation or no-money-down real estate investment. By the time the game resumes, I’ve either now forgotten or no longer care what teams are playing, much less the outcome.


So, you beat me, Madison Avenue, I give up. I know you don’t care because there are millions to replace me, and I'm the wrong demographic in the first place, but they’re not stupid either, they just have a higher pain threshold. Eventually, they’ll quit you, too, and then you’ll have to find another way to gouge us. Meanwhile, I'm off to the bingo parlor... at least there I anticipate diminished expectations.

8 comments:

hfurness said...

So sad, so true... Even the news shows are nothing but commercials for other shows. Try the soccer channel - they let the game continue and they run the ads at the bottom of the screen (and I'm not even a big soccer fan, but at least there are no game breaks...)

paisley said...

over a decade ago, i discovered a channel turner classic movies... my dial has never moved from that set point... not only do i get quality entertainment,, but there is never a commercial.. nope.. not one....

Anonymous said...

Definitely.

You pretty much summed up why I don't really watch television anymore.

It's sad how this world is all about money, but it is.

kaylee said...

You got it right,
that is why I watch the neighbors.
You never know when one of them
shall go bonkers.
TMC rules and the BBC
is my main stay.
love ya
klk

Word Catalyst Magazine said...

Television is certainly not about entertainment anymore. The commercials are bad enough but the reality shows are not what I call entertainment. I usually watch TV to escape reality not to watch it! And who ever thought that we'd be paying upwards of $50 per month to watch TV?
It's a crazy world.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, changing the momentum of a sporting contest so you can stick adds for products that make you unhealthy is a crime. Rage on!

Bubba said...

Thanks, everyone. I have to admit to being a sports junkie. That being said, every day the desire to keep up with it all wanes. Growing up, baseball and football were as integral in my life as eating, I even had a cup of coffee as a pro ball player. But even the NCAA versions have become so bastardized by money that all I can do is shake my head. All the institutions I grew up will soon be gone.

But, maybe that's a good thing. Maybe someone will, once again, put the proper emphasis on books and the arts. Or, at least, so I hope...

Anonymous said...

I can completely relate to this also. What you said about the story inside a story in six minutes segments.

I'd write more, but the commercials are almost over.