Thursday, April 03, 2008

A note to my friends

Y’know, this medium can be frustrating, bedeviling, and absolutely maddening at times. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve honestly wondered whether a single word I’ve written ever made a difference to a single soul. Then, something happens in my life that has absolutely nothing to do with anything I’ve written about, and people with whom I’ve not uttered a single spoken word come out of the woodwork to offer their good wishes, supplant my unexpressed negativity, and generally warm my soul with a balm more soothing than any tincture ever prepared by the best witch doctor Haiti ever produced.

It’s enough to quiet the cynic, forestall the faultfinder, and throw my inner bloodhound off the trail of the scent. It’s… enough.

It’s time I let you all know of my gratitude. No amount of eloquence can ever say it better than two simple words—thank you… thank you all from that special place inside me completely without guile, that tiny spot without ego. I think I’m winning this fight. I can feel something that tells me this won’t be What Finally Gets Me.

But whether I’m right or wrong, bless you all… I’m grateful to have such friends.

Now it’s time to get back to the inanity.

Bob

11 comments:

R.L. Bourges said...

back to inanity - for sure! folks could start getting teary-eyed 'n all. Bad, bad, bad for the reputation, man.
:-)

Anonymous said...

yayay, back to the inanity, i have often wondered why the first is always a boring straight par four, what say to make it a challenge we play it blindfold?

Scot said...

aw bob...

Jo Janoski said...

Let's laugh our way through this together. Could there be a better cure? Inanity rules!

Anonymous said...

The gratitude is mutual, Bob. My morning is not complete unless I have my daily dose of "Not Quite Right"...and that's just the tip of what your words do for me!

Now, go write me something pretty.

; )

Dan said...

My mundane redecorating duties have kept me away so long Bubba has developed 'a tiny spot without ego'. Ha..ha, just kiddin' Bob. Remember, "It ain't braggin' if you done it!" I pray your treatment is going as well as can be expected. I wanted to let you know 'The Fisher Tontine' was exceptional. Perhaps that's part of the problem with the editors, they have become 'dumbed down' with the garbage they receive on a daily basis and truly don't know how to respond to exceptional work. Keep plugging away, perhaps over time you will elevate their sense of quality!

Anonymous said...

Miss you. :) You are about as right and real as anyone can get. And, you are going to be around for a long time...we need you!

Bubba said...

Lee-- Yea, it'd be a shame to ruin forty years spent building and protecting a lousy reputation. :O)

Paul-- What? You mean you haven't been playing it blindfolded??? Hmmmm... honestly I never watch you tee off, but I assumed from the fact that the ball never went more than... well, you know...

Scot-- Get that smirk off your face! I know where you live.

Jo-- Inanity rules! I think we need to have that put on a t-shirt!

Karen-- Thanks, kiddo. If I ever write anything close to 'pretty', you'll be the first one I send it to.

Dan-- Thanks for the nice words, buddy. Glad to hear that your repairs are dwindling.

Shirley-- And the feelings are mutual... what could be better than that?

kaylee said...

Thank you goes
both ways.
Thank you for the laughs
thank you for the tears
thank you for sharing
you with me, and changing
the color of everything
see.
Fight for the right to
go on an on/
lfmty

kay lee

Lori Witzel said...

Thank you for helping me ruin a perfectly good ol' t-shirt by making me laugh enough to snort coffee out my nose, and then one post later fixing the stain my getting me all sniffly and teary-eyed.

Big grins to you. Glad you're around.

Bubba said...

Hi, Lori... thanks so much for both assessments. You're all great!