Friday, March 07, 2008

Daylight Come and…


It was a dark and stormy night, an ironic circumstance that totally escaped the discernment of Libby Percival, given the fact that she currently lay in a persistent vegetative state, the victim of a rape and beating from a man she’d pulled over to assist.

However, irony would not be satisfied by singularity tonight on the seventh floor ICU of St. Francis Hospital, for even now the ER processed Lucius Tolliver, a man who, after a painful diagnostic battery of tests and subsequent coma, would succumb from the hepatitis B he contracted earlier in the evening when bitten by a woman he had savagely raped and left to die. Hey, Mister Tallyman, tally me bananas…

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought the first pic was eerie, but this one scares the beJesus out of me!

Now, I'm wondering if this tale of irony is a metaphor for the condition of our country....

Anonymous said...

Very dark, cheer up, any Guinness in the fridge? Wanna go for a round of golf?

Bubba said...

ginga-- Well, mate, I might be able to take eighteen, but you'll have to give me 5 a side... I've heard about you Aussies and your golfing abilities. If you look up the definition of 'hacker' in the dictionary, all you'll see is a photo of me. Ha! Plus, I get at least one mulligan per hole-- more if I hit one OB or it fails to clear the Ladies' Tee... oh, and, could you loan me a couple of balls, preferably something with less than 3 cuts and not stolen from the driving range?

Better yet, let's just say to hell with it and head for the Nineteenth... the Guinness is always frothy and Glenda makes a mean black-and-tan.

Anonymous said...

This would make a kinda neat aside to a central story playing out in a hospital. It isn't exactly happy, but there's a tenacious strain of grim humor to it.

Bubba said...

amuirin, I've always heard that comedy is really only tragedy plus time. Irony is, perhaps, the cousin of both who chooses to eschew family gatherings in favor of watching from the car. Then, when no one is watching, he sneaks in the kitchen and raids the refrigerator and beer cooler.

Anonymous said...

This is intense, I like how the pieces add up.

Bubba said...

Thanks, Noah... just a little something to keep the mind from turning to putty-- wait... too late.

Anonymous said...

Well, now you went and told them about our new TV series..whatever you do don't tell them that it's a spin-off of Law & Order called Justice beJusus! That's our little secret!

Great write...I always prefer true justice over trial and error!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a plan, although I hear they are some wierdos with trenchcoats and microphones hanging around in there,

kaylee said...

Karma can be a bitch.
Great job of telling
us about it.
klk