Monday, March 24, 2008

I fell in to a burnin’ ring of fiber

We entered the room slowly, carefully taking note of its contents. It was easily the largest room on the fifth floor, and even opening the door required a herculean effort on both our parts. As I stepped across the raised threshold, I realized that I could see my breath and felt gooseflesh start to erupt upon my forearms. On one end of the room, the once-pristine white walls carried the subdued red remnants of a life-and-death struggle directly above the half-eaten carcass of a large sea lion. As my scan of the room proceeded, I noted a small swimming pool with an even-smaller ice floe drifting within its confines, bumping up against the porcelain sides. Stepping in front of me, the attendant grabbed my bicep with a very large hand and pointed to the opposite corner of the room. There, with head resting upon front paws, lay a huge white bear. The animal’s eyes carried a sadness I’d never before witnessed.

“This is your new roommate,” he whispered.

I could scarcely find words. “Is—is… is that a polar bear?”

Shaking his head sadly, the attendant cupped his hand over my ear, “Actually, it’s a bi-polar bear… you might want to proceed slowly in your efforts to get to know one another.”

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG, a bi-polar polar bear...watch yourself and pray that he's on his meds this week!

R.L. Bourges said...

yessss...and always keep yourself behind the carcass, bubba. away from the ice floe and behind the carcass.

Anonymous said...

Stay calm. Very few bi-polar bears have homosexual tendancies.

Anonymous said...

I think I've finally found my totem animal.

Anonymous said...

I could bearly stop laughing
when I read this.
A white bear
do I care?

Keep to the right
do not sleep in the night
everything will be alright

or not

klk

paisley said...

only you.... that is really all i can say.......

Bubba said...

Shirley-- I'll do my best.

Lee-- "Always keep yourself behind the carcass... away from the ice floe and behind the carcass." I think you've just given me my standard advice line for everyone. Thanks, Lee!

Gingatao-- Let's see if I understand you right now, priority list for being in the same room with a polar bear with no obvious avenue of escape... 1) stay calm, because it's unlikely that the bear's a nancy-boy... 2)stay behind the seal carcass... 3) stay away from the icefloe...

Yea, I think I've got it! I should be fine.


amuirin-- I'm told bi-polar bears make excellent totems-- especially if they're fed seals laced with heavy doses of thorazine.


Kaylee-- Thank you!

Paisley-- WHAT?? Sheesh... I think I've been type-cast.

Lori Witzel said...

Bwwwahahahahaha!!!

Oh. My. Gawd! Funny.

And the post-toasty title?
Priceless roughage, dude.