Sunday, March 09, 2008

Your Sunday Anti-Doxology




Kids are pretty adaptive, I think. These days, psychologists throw around terms like dysfunction to explain why Johnny can’t go out for recess without trying to beat Billy to death (lazy eye, my ass, he could see well enough to rat me out to Mrs. Larrick for passing notes) or liberally dosing Peggy Browley’s sandwich with cayenne pepper (okay, I admit it’s lame, but the bitch wouldn’t let me copy her answers and I damn near flunked fourth grade). ‘Dysfunction’ was the rule rather than the exception in my neighborhood, we just accepted it as the norm and went on about our business.

When I was a kid, my father relied on the Working Man’s Bloody Mary, Coors beer and tomato juice (aka Colorado Kool-Aid), to cure his frequent hangovers. These he'd drink as my mother screamed bloody murder across the breakfast table at him; if he continued drinking the way he did, his liver would soon be shot to hell and never mind that what was left of his brain was already pickled and what's more, maybe me and the kids won't be here some morning when you finally decide to wake up and smell the coffee! How would you like THAT, Mister? Oh, what am I saying; you'd be ECSTATIC about that, wouldn't you? Don’t shake your head at me, you goddamn, drunken ol’ bastard. Just stick your head in your drink and do what you do best, the kids and I can learn to eat sand when you get your ass fired again. The saddest part of the entire opera was her eventual lack of enthusiasm for the exercise. She’d played the role for so long that the defining aria crested while she grabbed his hair as she tried (usually unsuccessfully) to lift his head from the table and set it back down into the plate of bacon and eggs she’d just fixed him. He’d get up from the table, swearing and threatening, slam the back door and go to work, leaving us with the silence of the lambs; an enraged woman fueled by two pots of black coffee and enough frustration and desperation to nourish an Al-Queda terrorist cell. Getting ready for school on these mornings was tricky at best.


I used to really hate my father for what he did to my sisters and me, for leaving us to fend for ourselves with a mother who, for all intents and purposes, had become our responsibility.

When I finally became an adult myself and became intimately acquainted with the vicious throes of hangovers myself, sometimes I can't blame him… not really. I wouldn't want to listen to that kind of shit either when I'm hung-over… never mind having four stricken-looking children silently eyeballing me in mute reproach.

Yes, it’s true, for the better part of his adult life, my father was a drunken bastard. But I understood him a lot better after becoming an adult myself (arguably), because I grew up to be a drunken bastard, too. Fortunately for all concerned, I married above my station and, saints be praised, my wife possessed the capability of modifying my behavior without playing the role of shrew or harpie, high sheriff or exalted executioner. Her techniques were far more subtle and devious, the psychological equivalent of the rubber hose treatment; the only marks were implanted on my brain—I have no specific memories of what she did, I just knew that I never wanted any more of it.


Bob Church©3/09/08

6 comments:

Jo Janoski said...

Ah, we women are a tricky lot. Humor aside, I think you caught the essence of having an alcoholic parent here. This part really struck me: "stricken-looking children silently eyeballing me in mute reproach"--so right on...says volumes.

Anonymous said...

You've certainly captured it! Reminds me of younger days when we'd come home from school and the kitchen table would be in the front yard! That's when I learned to love climbing trees. Rather than go inside, I'd find my clearing in the woods and climb the old pine tree until it blew over (the fight, not the tree). And then, years later, I married an alcoholic...go figure!

Anonymous said...

Both of my parents are alcoholics; I know how that goes.

Hell, everyone in my family is except for me.

Anonymous said...

Dane Cook claims that women are psychological terrorists. It sounds as if you concur?

:)

As long as we use our powers for good instead of evil...

paisley said...

the opener on this is a subject that has me in tailspins... there is no such thing as just being a rowdy kid anymore... everyone has to be diagnosed and medicated or therapied or what the hell ever will fix them... no wonder we are growing up a generation or two of idiots who never developed any common sense... they were to freaking stoned to do it!!!!!


excellent post as always.....

Bubba said...

Hi, Jodi... Yea, somewhere along the line we started treating our kids like they were little science experiments, testing Control Group A with this and Control Group B with that... then switching them just to see what might happen. I guess we finally found a drug protocol effective enough to turn them all into zombies. Send 'em to school, bring 'em home and set 'em in front of the Tube or Playstation, and go have a few drinks until it's time to order in supper. Repeat tomorrow... *sigh*