Monday, March 10, 2008

Lawrence = Pacifist

For reasons I still don’t understand, one of my co-workers found it necessary to introduce her ‘significant other’ to me today. Honestly, I’d have been perfectly happy to sit in my office alone and suffer through my half-hour of not eating lunch, but since she was witless enough to interrupt my crossword puzzle (can anyone tell me a five-letter synonym for ‘feckless’?) with her desire to give me the opportunity to laugh at this putz, I figured I’d go along with it.

“Bob, meet Lawrence. He’s a pacifist.” Okay... is this some sort of a trick? A pre-emptive strike perhaps? Could it be her attempt to hotwire my brain into immediately equating Lawrence = harmless? That’s a little intrusive, don’t you think? She’s bullying me into accepting this jerk without giving me the opportunity to form my own opinion, and I find that downright offensive.

“Oh, a pacifist, eh?” I countered, and kicked him in the nuts.

Well… that’s when the screaming started-- from her and him.

“You BASTARD!” she roared. Lawrence, to his credit, wasn’t saying much at all, unless the sounds I heard coming from the fetal-positioned lump on the floor beside my desk could actually be construed as language.

Lawrence = pacifist… Bob = bastard… yea, I think I’m getting the hang of this. Plus, as an added bonus, watching Lawrence made me think of a five-letter word for ‘feckless’— inept.

My co-worker then went to the boss with her complaints about my problem with controlling negative emotions. Personally, I can’t understand why anyone would conceive of this as a problem. Some situations dictate that anger, hatred, or even blind rage is a perfectly acceptable and reasonable response to some stimuli. For example, have you ever stood in the cash-only, 8-items-or-less lane at the supermarket for thirty minutes behind a dozen other dopes while some gormless twit attempts to purchase two months’ worth of booze and cigarettes for her entire apartment complex with an expired debit card and $50 worth of stolen food stamps? I’m willing to bet that even Lawrence the Pacifist might be just a tad testy.

Instead of attacking me for not being able to control my negative emotions, why the hell do these people have problems expressing them? Have you noticed that it’s never the obnoxious bastards, but the ‘quiet, polite’ individuals who march down to the police station and turn themselves in after wiping out an entire wing of the Golden Age Care Center with a tire iron and sledge hammer?

So, next time I take a sip of your drink without asking or feel the necessity to try your patience by giving you a quick punch in the balls, please try to be just a bit more empathetic. Saying “thank you” is optional, of course.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

A great write with your usual kick (excuse the pun). No pent-up aggression in your cubicle! That alone makes the world a much safer place. God forbid you held it in!

Bubba said...

Ah, yes... Great Zenmaster Lenny say 'should you desire great tranquility, prepare to sweat white beads'. I am but to obey. OOOOMMMMMMM...OOOOMMMMMMM...

Anonymous said...

This was awesome, and so wrong.

“Oh, a pacifist, eh?” I countered, and kicked him in the nuts.

..^ laughed and laughed even though laughing at such things is probably a one-way ticket to the firy pits of hell. What also struck my funny bone, is I've *seen* this! WHen I used to teach preschool, there was a kid named Leif who couldn't handle his emotions too well. One day he had insta-popularity because of a toy he brought to school. All the kids wanted to play with him all of a sudden cus of the toy. They swarmed him at recess. At first, he's smiling, and laughing, but you could see his face slowly grow troubled as the attention proved too much for him, and then all of a sudden he was swinging the toy around, clonking everything in his path upside the head, howling with aggression.

I know it's not right, and it's sad for the kid that he didn't have good coping skills, but I couldn't control my laughter. It is exactly what I so often wish I could do.

Anonymous said...

...before I can properly and more importantly safely comment on this post I have to go to a sporting goods store and buy a cup...

Jo Janoski said...

I can't comment yet. I'm still picking myself up off the floor. No, you didn't kick me in the balls and knock me down. I don't have balls, silly. I'm just apoplectic with laughter. This post made my day.

Bubba said...

amuirin-- I wouldn't worry too much about young Leif... sounds like he's got a bright future in professional wrestling.

poetman-- What? You don't wear a cup all the time? Hmmmm... now I'm wondering if I need mine...

Jo-- Well, of course you don't... that would just be wrong..

^^
00
WW

kaylee said...

I am a pacifist and I will
kill anyone who says otherwise.
Now I know why they have
cubicles.
Way to go.

klk

Anonymous said...

This is hilarious. It is kind of nice to know there are people that can be effectively described with a single word, so there's no doubt as to how desperately they need a beating.

But I have to wonder. Did he become a pacifist because his parents named him "Lawrence?" Or did he adopt the name to follow the lifestyle?

Maybe Lawrence just needed someone, at some point in his life, to say, "Lou. What the #$%^?" But, until then, a kick in the balls should work.

I was recently told I should really try to speak more pleasantly to many of my employer's clients, even the ones that are utter dumbasses. There are some lines a man just can't cross.

Bubba said...

Kaylee-- Sometimes a person just has to test the limits, know what I mean?

Imtayopay-- First, thanks for stopping by. I've been reading some of your work and enjoy your writing style. Maybe you need to hijack your own space...

I, too, struggle with suffering dumbasses. It's not that I feel superior, it's just that I figure that if I can figure it out, anyone should be able to figure it out, know what I mean? I only have 3 active brain cells and 2 of those are actively engaged below the prime meridian, if you get my gist... go figure.

Anonymous said...

"problems controlling negative emotions . . ."

Brilliant understatement, funny post!

Bubba said...

Petersonion-- (Your name alone makes me wish I could check out your blog... if you read this, leave me a URL and I'll stop by) Thanks for coming to see me. I'm thrilled that you enjoyed the piece and I hope you'll come back some time.

Bubba said...

Well... I just found out... the "petersonion" comment is from none other than Peter Koechley, the one-time managing editor of The Onion.

Wow... I'm not worthy! I'm not worthy! The Onion has long been one of the funniest publications on the planet, and I never miss an issue. I'd highly recommend it to anyone. I guarantee you that you'll leave with an illegal smile.

Anonymous said...

I commented earlier, but I guess it didn't get posted correctly.

But I just wanted to apologize, I hate to disappoint you but I am not "that" Peter. I'm just a humble anonymous one whose blog has a silly name: Peter Eats the Supernal Onion.

Nevertheless, your writings are fantastic and definitely worthy of the accolades of the mighty man of The Onion, the real one.

I apologize and ask permission to link to you on my blog.

Cheers!

Bubba said...

petersonion-- Well, it was I who made the mistake, not you, so your apology is unnecessary. Regardless, you are always welcome here. The mistake was made when I googled 'peters onion' and the first entry was http://onionpeter.blogspot.com/, the website of *that* Peter and I incorrectly assumed you were one and the same.

By all means, I'd very much like you to link me to your site. I'm looking forward to all the grins... Cheers!